Recipe courtesy of Raj, The Primal Desire.
A great use of the Blend & Extend concept, Beef Mushroom endive Taco Boats are perfect for guilt-free entertaining!
2 lbs ground beef
6 large white or brown mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 red onion (finely chopped – ¼ cup put aside for salsa)
1 red chilli pepper (finely diced)
2 cloves garlic
3 heaping Tbsp taco seasoning (homemade or Paleo variety)
4-6 endives (leaves separated from base – see video above)
1 cup cherry tomatoes (finely chopped)
2-3 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
½ – 1 can black olives (chopped)
shredded aged cheddar or crumbled blue cheese (if lacto-paleo)
1½ cups pineapple (about ½ a pineapple – finely chopped – choosing & cutting pineapples)
¼ cup red onion (finely diced – from above)
1-2 Tbsp cilantro (diced)
1 avocado (cubed, salted and coated in lime juice)
Pineapple Avocado Salsa (make this in advance so that flavors can blend):
1. Mix ¼ cup finely chopped red onion with pineapple, cilantro, and avocado.
2. Place in fridge until needed.
1. In a large frying pan or pot, melt ghee or butter over medium heat.
2. Add remaining onions and mushrooms, cooking until soft.
3. Add chilli, garlic and beef, stirring well to break up ground beef.
4. Once browned, mix in taco seasoning and olives.
5. Fill each endive leaf with ground beef/mushroom mixture.
6. If using cheese, sprinkle each endive.
7. Serve with pineapple salsa and cherry tomatoes to be spooned on top.
This is great with aged cheddar or even blue cheese if you eat lacto-paleo. If not, it’s still a really nice balance of flavors to share with everyone!