10 Reasons to “Lean” on Ontario Beef
Ontario ground beef is an economical, simple and nutrient rich protein option – making ground beef a number one meal maker with families. You may be surprised how the fat level in ground beef stacks up against other ground meats. All ground meats are designated on the label as Extra Lean, Lean, Medium or Regular, based on the maximum fat content. This designation is the same for beef, turkey, veal, chicken, pork and lamb.
Ontario Beef is…
- A nutritional powerhouse, with 14 essential nutrients, plus ENERGY
- An excellent source of high quality PROTEIN for muscle growth and repair
- A LEAN choice; beef’s fat content is similar to skinless chicken and fish
- One of the best sources of IRON, needed by every cell in your body
- Loaded with B VITAMINS, for energy and healthy brain function
- A great source of ZINC, to promote a strong immune system
- A CALORIE-WISE, protein-rich choice for maintaining a healthy weight
- Part of a HEALTHY DIET for managing cholesterol
- REAL FOOD, recommended as part of Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide
- FLAVOUR AND SATISFACTION, your whole family will love
Tips for Cooking with Ground Beef
- Refrigerate ground beef within 1-2 hours of purchase.
- Refrigerate at 4°C or lower, on bottom shelf to avoid dripping onto other foods.
- Thaw in fridge, allowing 12-15 hours per pound OR thaw in the microwave, cooking immediately after thawing.
- Cook all ground beef thoroughly to an internal temperature of 160°F. Test temperatures with a digital instant-read thermometer. Never eat ground beef rare.