Recipe by Mardi of eat. live. travel. write.
I’ve taken the ingredients for the classic lettuce wrap and popped them on steamed rice – giving you all the freshness of a summer dish in the comfort of a bowl.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion
200g mushrooms (white or cremini)
450g minced beef
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
2 tablespoons runny honey
1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
zest and juice from 1 lime
Crushed unsalted peanuts
Finely chopped green onions
Finely shredded romaine lettuce
1. In a food processor, chop the mushrooms with the garlic and onion until uniform in size.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, garlic and mushroom mixture until the onion and garlic are translucent and fragrant.
3. Add the beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, stirring to combine with the mushroom mixture, until fully cooked.
4. Lover the heat to medium, add the ginger and honey and cook until any liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the fish and soy sauces along with the juice and zest of the lime and cook, stirring until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
6. Serve over warm steamed rice. Top with shredded lettuce and mint, chopped peanuts and green onions.